Search This Blog

Saturday 11 October 2014

Autumn Sunshine

Autumn decided not to be all cold, wet and windy today which gave me a chance to grab some shots of the sun burning off the early morning mist around Kildare. The old church and graveyard at Oughterard seemed like a good place to go since it’s one of the highest points in this part of the county and I think it was a good bet. I got a couple of shots on the Grand Canal on the way and probably should have spent more time on it but I was happy with these two. 

02-DSC_425801-DSC_4255

The mist in the valley below Oughterard was perfect – flowing along like a slow motion river over the fields and hedges.

03-DSC_4269

06-DSC_4305

The churchyard itself was OK but I think I’d have needed a tripod, a lot of patience and a willingness to get very wet to make the most of it. I made do with just enjoying the atmosphere and a couple of quick shots.

04-DSC_427905-DSC_4289

The whole exercise woke me up so I decided to head for the coast and go for a walk on Killiney Hill. Definitely well worth the effort but I made a mistake and ended up parking on Vico road, I’d have been better off parking down by the beach in Killiney or in the car park near the Quarry. Still I got in a nice 8km hike, with a 200m climb which came with a reward of panoramic views of Dublin Bay.

Sorrento Terrace and Dalkey Island, from the north end of Killiney beach.

07-DSC_4332

Sorrento Terrace and Dalkey Island from the top of Killiney Hill.

08-DSC_4407

Killiney beach to Bray from the top of Killiney Hill.

09-DSC_4430

The autumn sun. I got sunburned. In October. In Ireland. Don’t know if I should be delighted that the summer continues or irritated that I seem to be destined to get sunburned every time I go outside this year.  I spent a good 10 minutes trying to get that lens flare just right by the way, it should have been a no brainer but I was so hot and sweaty from climbing the hill I couldn’t look through the viewfinder without having both my glasses and the viewfinder fogging up. That was not a technical challenge I expected to have to deal with in October.

10-DSC_4440

No comments: